The international orthopedic medical registries demonstrate that osteoarthritis is the most widespread joint pathology worldwide. Its incidence increases with age, therefore therapeutic options should be applicable to young people, adults and the elderly ones. In failure of conservative measures, joint replacement comes to the fore. Treatment of severe hip osteoarthritis in Germany includes few methods of arthroplasty that are applicable to patients with diverse physical activity and bones’ state.
When arthroplasty will be the best choice
Hip replacement in Germany has limited list of indications, as doctors always give preference to less invasive conservative therapy. Only when pharmacotherapy and physical therapy fail to improve the condition, arthroplasty is considered in patients with:
- ІІІ-ІV degree of idiopathic coxarthrosis (or II degree in functional disorders along with severe pain syndrome).
- ІІІ-ІV degree of dysplastic coxarthrosis (or II degree in functional disorders along with severe pain syndrome).
- Aseptic (avascular) necrosis of the femoral head.
- Posttraumatic coxarthrosis.
- Hip impingement.
What will happen during the surgery
After the careful examination doctor makes choice between total hip replacement and superficial arthroplasty (McMinn surgery). In patients with osteoporosis, joint deformity, or femur neck fracture it is better to perform total hip replacement. Young and active physically patients with preserved femur will benefit from sparing McMinn surgery.
Regardless of the type, each surgery includes:
- General or spinal anesthesia performing.
- Forming front or back surgical approach by large incisions in open surgeries or 3-4 cm incisions in minimally invasive ones.
- Removing a damaged joint and prosthesis placement.
- Fixation of the prosthesis by the cementless method or with surgical cement.
- Removing surgical devices, closing skin incisions, putting sterile dressing.
Treatment in Germany combines availability of the necessary equipment, patented material for the endoprostheses manufacturing, and experienced orthopedic surgeons. This creates a solid foundation for providing medical service of the highest level.
What you should expect after the surgery
Right after the intervention a patient stays under the close medical supervision in the recovery room or ICU. After this, early phase of the orthopedic rehabilitation starts. Regardless of the type, implant needs to work in order to substitute the joint function well. During the first days, balance and walking ability may be improved by cane or walker using.
A rehabilitologist elaborates exercise programs for following in the hospital and after this, at home. At first, activities are performed under the supervision of a physical therapist. The postoperative pain syndrome is alleviated by painkillers, if necessary. Also, patient undergoes postoperative diagnosis, including X-ray examination, ECG, lab tests.
Usually hospital stay lasts for 2-3 days. After this, patient proceeds with the orthopedic rehabilitation in the specialized healthcare facility or returns home.
Ways of reducing surgical risks
Minimally invasive approaches, robotic interventions and proper monitoring during the hip endoprosthesis in Germany minimize usual surgical risks, such as:
- Blood loss during the operation or in the postoperative period.
- Blood clots formation with affection of distant body regions (e.g. pulmonary embolism).
- Infectious complications (hospital-acquired infections).
- Prosthesis dislocation or instability.
- Injury of large blood vessels or functionally important nerve endings.
Nevertheless, simple additional measures will contribute to smooth postoperative period and prompt functional restoration:
- Stop smoking prior to the arthroplasty performing.
- Normalize body mass, if necessary, as the excessive weight puts the excessive pressure on the prosthesis.
- Exercise in order to strengthen muscles of thigh and buttocks.
- Prepare your house for convenient living in the postoperative period; find a relative or friend to help you at first.
- Start rehabilitation program. Rehabilitation in Germany is aimed at the maximal functional restoration and self-care ability.
Planning hip replacement abroad with Booking Health
Planning hip replacement treatment in Germany it is necessary to consider state of the patient before and after the intervention. Limitations in walking or long sitting may influence way of travelling; long staying in the rehabilitation center may require extending a visa, etc.
In order to pay attention to all the peculiarities of treatment abroad, it is better to use service of Booking Health. The international medical tourism operator Booking Health provides patients with comprehensive assistance in:
- Making informed choice between TOP German orthopedic hospitals.
- Establishing communication with treating physician.
- Preparing suitable medical program in advance according to the existing medical reports.
- Booking the appointment or date of admission to the hospital.
- Providing reasonable cost for medical services, excluding overpricing.
- Checking final calculation, return of unspent funds.
- Arrangement of follow-up tests and distant consultations.
- Booking accommodation, tickets, transfer.
- Services of medical translator and individual coordinator while staying abroad.